This part of the tutorial on Careers and job roles in Big Data will help you in understanding the need of Big Data, the market tendency for Big Data, many companies hiring Big Data Professionals from fresher to experienced professionals, various profiles in Big data to grow the career in like Hadoop developer, Hadoop Admin, Hadoop Architect, Hadoop tester and Big data analyst along with their roles and responsibilities, skills and familiarity required for different Big Data profiles.
- 1 2. Introduction to Careers and job roles in Big data
- 2 3. Hadoop Developer
- 3 4. Hadoop Architect
- 4 5. Hadoop Administrator
- 5 6. Hadoop Tester
- 6 7. Hadoop Analyst
2. Introduction to Careers and job roles in Big data
Large volumes of data are getting generated every second and if collected daily, it leads to 2.5 quintillions of bytes of data that is being generated every day.
Almost 90 % of this data is being generated in just the last 2 years which has led to huge outbursts of data. You can assume from the day of its beginning till the last 2 years, the generation of data has contributed only 10 % of the total data available in the world. So data generation is increasing with time and not linear.
So as we have seen the different sources of data and how much data is getting generated daily, we can accomplish that this data is growing at the rate of 40 % compounded annually. If we calculate the entire data that will be generated by 2020, it comes to around 45 ZB that shows how Big data is growing and would be the most demanding technology in the coming years. This will give the Big data professionals a very dazzling future to work with.
Research by MarketsandMarkets approximates that Hadoop and Big Data Analytics market is expected to reach $13.9 billion by the end of 2017.
Hadoop jobs are not only being offered by IT companies but different types of companies are hiring highly paid Hadoop professionals including financial firms, retail organizations, banks, healthcare organizations, etc. There is a huge requirement for Hadoop developer jobs and Hadoop administration jobs in start-ups that are building Hadoop directly into their business plans. Big Companies like EMC Corporation, Apple, Facebook, Google, Oracle, Hortonworks, IBM, Microsoft, Cisco, etc. have several Hadoop job openings with different positions like Hadoop Developers, Hadoop Testers, Hadoop Architects and Hadoop Administrators in almost all cities of India with most demand being in Bangalore, Pune, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Chennai, New Delhi, and NCR.
One of the most familiar questions being asked is “What are the different jobs available in Hadoop”. Here is a concise overview of the various Hadoop job descriptions.
3. Hadoop Developer
Hadoop developer tasks are to write programs according to the system designs and must have good knowledge about the coding and programming. The job of Hadoop developer is likewise to a software developer in the Big Data domain. The job of Hadoop developer also includes understanding and working to come up with solutions to problems, designing, and planning along with strong documenting skills.
i. Hadoop Developer Roles and Responsibilities
· Defining job flows
· Managing and Reviewing Hadoop Log Files
· Cluster Coordination services through Zookeeper
· Managing Hadoop jobs through the scheduler
· Assisting MapReduce programs running on the Hadoop cluster
ii. Skills Required for Hadoop Developer:
· Proficiency in writing Pig Latin Scripts and HiveQL
· Established Knowledge of workflow/ schedulers like Oozie
· Capability to deal with Data Loading tools like Flume and Sqoop
iii. Experience required for a Hadoop developer profile
Hadoop developer CV must be a blend of the above skills to be selected by various companies hiring Hadoop developers in India and abroad and getting the high scope of Hadoop developer salary.
4. Hadoop Architect
Hadoop architect job tasks are to design how the system should work and then manage the complete life cycle of a Hadoop solution. The Hadoop architect must have subject matter proficiency and delivery familiarity working on popular Hadoop distribution platforms like Cloudera, HortonWorks, and MapR.
i. Hadoop Architect Roles and Responsibilities
· Designing Technical architecture and application customization
· Undertaking the Requirement analysis
· Undertaking the deployment of proposed solution design
ii. Skills Required for Hadoop Architect
· Profound understanding of Hadoop Architecture and HDFS including YARN
· Hive, Pig
· Java MapReduce
iii. Experience required for a Hadoop architect profile
Hadoop architect CV must be a combination of the above skills to be selected by companies hiring Hadoop architects in India and abroad.
5. Hadoop Administrator
The Hadoop Administration jobs tasks are like the System administrator job. Hadoop Admin roles and responsibilities comprise setting up Hadoop clusters, backup, recovery, and maintenance of the same. Good familiarity with hardware systems and Hadoop architecture is required by Hadoop Administrator.
i. Hadoop admin roles and responsibilities:
· HDFS maintenance and support
· Hadoop Clusters planning and screening
· Tracing of all the connectivity and security issues
· Setting up new Hadoop users
ii. Skills Required for Hadoop administrator:
· In-depth knowledge of Hbase
· Hands-on experience in Oozie, HCatalog, Hive
· Strong scripting skills in a Linux environment
iii. Experience required for a Hadoop admin profile
Hadoop administrator CV must be a blend of the above skills to be selected by companies hiring Hadoop administrators in India and abroad.
6. Hadoop Tester
Hadoop tester job tasks are to ensure that the process being designed is in sync with the process being required by the organization. Their main role is to find and fix bugs in Hadoop applications.
i. Hadoop Tester Roles and Responsibilities
· Main tasks include troubleshooting and locating defects in the program and stating them to Hadoop developer to take corrective action
· Stating all the Positive and negative test cases in Hadoop/Pig/Hive components
ii. Skills required for Hadoop Tester
· Testing Knowledge of JUnit, MRUnit framework
· Knowledge of Java to test MapReduce Jobs
· Hands-on knowledge of Hive, Pig
iii. Experience required for a Hadoop tester profile
Hadoop tester CV must be a combination of the above skills to be selected by companies hiring Hadoop testers in India and abroad.
7. Hadoop Analyst
Hadoop analyst job responsibilities are to evaluate large volumes of data and bring out visions that could be used by the companies for their betterment.
i. Hadoop Analyst Roles and Responsibilities
· Emerging new visions from the available data using the scripting language
· Performing A/B testing as per different hypotheses to impact different Key Performance Indicators
ii. Skills required for Hadoop Analyst
· Hands-on knowledge of Hive, Pig
· In-depth Flume knowledge and SQL command
iii. Experience required for a Hadoop analyst profile
Hadoop analyst CV must be a blend of the above skills to be selected by companies hiring Hadoop analysts in India and abroad.